In 1919 Walter Owen (W.O) Bentley set out a simple objective, to build ‘a fast car, a good car, the best in its class’. A distinctive motto which today is known by many around the world.
Attaining numerous victories at Le Mans in the 1920s was the start of an era, bringing great attention to the company. This was also helped by numerous speed and endurance records successfully set at Brooklands, the Isle of Man and Indianapolis.
Important milestones reached by Bentley over the century include the following:
• 1921 – The first production Bentley left the factory
• 1924-1930 – Victories at Le Mans
• 1946 – Bentley move to Crewe, their existing HQ
• 1952- The Bentley R Type Continental is introduced, the fastest four-seater car in the world
• 1965 – Bentley T Series launched
• 1998 – VW Group acquire
• 2003 – Bentley return to Le Mans with two Speed 8s finishing first and second
• 2015 – The Bentayga launches, the fastest, most powerful, luxurious and exclusive SUV in the world
• 2019 – The future of grand touring is revealed
Bentley owners, drivers and enthusiasts have all helped shape Bentley into the definitive British luxury car company, which all began in the 1920s from the high-spirited Bentley Boys and Bentley Girls. To celebrate the 100 years, Bentley are creating a fitting tribute to the legacy. Internal and external handcrafted features are on every car built in the factory at Crewe in 2019. Their pioneering spirit has been leading the way for 100 years and we’re delighted to see what the next 100 holds.