1958 Bentley S1 Continental Flying Spur by H.J Mulliner
Model: S1 Continental Flying Spur
Chassis no.:BC2 FM
Model:S1 Continental Flying Spur
Body Style:H.J Mulliner
To the Continental's existing qualities of pace and elegance, the Flying Spur added four-door practicality, a more spacious interior and a generously proportioned boot. The S-Type's new box-section chassis incorporated improved brakes and suspension and an enlarged (to 4,887cc) and more powerful version of the existing inlet-over-exhaust six-cylinder engine. The Continental came with a higher compression ratio, shorter radiator, power assisted steering and higher gearing and, for a time at least, could be ordered with right-hand change manual transmission.
From the Craig McCaw collection, chassis number BC2FM, is notated on its Rolls-Royce chassis specification sheet as having been displayed on the Mulliner stand at the 1958 Earls Court Motor Show in London. Mulliner supplied their own special rear brake lights, turn signals, and reflectors for the car. It was also fitted with a cowl-mounted radio antenna and special-ordered head, fender, dog and number plate lights, as well as the optional power steering. Subsequently, it was delivered in November of 1959 by famous London dealer Jack Barclay to his local client R.E.J. Macready, for whom it was registered as VXO 824.
In 1961, the car was purchased by the British Overseas General Investments Company Ltd, of Brook House, Park Lane, London. It later passed to J. Green, Esq., of central London. The car remained in the UK until 2012, where it was then acquired for Mr McCaws collection. It was then purchased by its current owner at auction in 2016, since then, it has been thoroughly looked after by ourselves.
A very elegant Flying Spur is presented in a very attractive colour, complete with an extensive history file.
Get in touch about this car
Tel: 01376 584392